Thursday, August 21, 2008

The All-Time Favourite Datuk


Lee Chong Wei, the 26 year old national singles badminton player who managed a silver medal at the Beijing 2008 Olympics have been awarded the Darjah Setia Pangkuan Negeri (DSPN) by the Penang Yang di-Pertua Negri, Tun Abdul Rahman Abbas. The award carries the title Datuk. According to the Chief Minister of Penang, Lim Guan Eng, "Even though Malaysians were disappointed that he failed to win the gold medal, we are proud at his singular achievement which has brought joy to both state and country. The state government hopes that this recognition will spur him on to break more records and achieve greater success to win greater glory for both Penang and Malaysia,"

Chong Wei, who will stand to receive a cash bonus of RM300,000 as well as a pension of RM3,000 said "I thought that maybe, if I win the gold medal, I might be given Datukship. But no, I never expected it for the silver and was very surprised. My thanks to the Penang state for fully supporting me,"

Source: MalaysiaToday.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home